Thursday, May 6, 2010

COMMENTARY>>Logistics readiness Airman drives ahead, wins AF-level award

by Senior Airman Steele C. G. Britton
19th Airlift Wing Public Affairs photographer

A Little Rock Air Force Base Airman was recently named the Air Force’s 2009 Logistics Readiness Vehicle Maintenance Airman of the Year.

Senior Airman William Caram, 19th Logistics Readiness Squadron vehicle maintenance customer service journeyman, distinguished himself as a top performer in the logistics readiness career field after the recent Air Force-level recognition list was released to Air Mobility Command wing commanders.

Lt. Gen. Robert Allardice, 18th Air Force commander, shared the good news in an e-mail written in mid-April, “It is a great honor to recognize the outstanding accomplishments of your troops. Their integrity, service and excellence are the reason AMC is so successful in what we do!”

Airman Caram provides customer service to government vehicle operators and ensures a two-hour turnaround on the vehicles he personally maintains. He takes pride in his job, and his enthusiasm easily lends to his recognition at such a high level.

“I was excited when I found out I received the award,” said the three-year vehicle maintainer. “It blew my mind to be able to achieve something like this so early in my Air Force career.”

In 2009, Airman Caram served nine months in Iraq conducting convoy operations where he ensured proper vehicle maintenance on Humvees and tractor-trailers, all while traveling a total of 8,000 miles in the country.

Airman Caram, who had no mechanical experience before joining the Air Force, gives credit to his mentors and leaders he has worked with both at Little Rock AFB and in Iraq.

“My NCOs have always showed me the right way of doing things, which has certainly helped me out a lot,” he said.
Along with fellow top performers in the logistics readiness career field, Airman Caram will be recognized in a Washington,
D.C., ceremony at the end of May.

Airman Caram continues to maintain vehicles with dedication to the job and enjoys his position.

“I love what I do and continue to work hard. Without vehicle maintenance, the Air Force would eventually come to a stand-still.

I continue my dedication to the job and ensure I’m providing quality service to my country,” he said.

No comments: