Wednesday, November 21, 2007

TOP STORY >>The things I'm most thankful for

By Brig. Gen. Wayne Schatz
314th Airlift Wing commander

There is a school-age tradition that seems to transcend generational and gender lines. It occurs in schools across America, public and private, and happens regardless of social status, religious preference or income bracket.

It starts in first grade with a simple list and by middle school may very well become a full essay. And it’s a tradition that I think serves us well even as adults. It’s taking time out to focus on the things you’re most thankful for. People give thanks at different times and in different ways. But I believe it’s important for us all to remember the things that we’re blessed with in our lives. All too often it’s easy to think about what we don’t have or what we would like. It seems that no matter how much we might have at any point in life, there is a natural desire to push for more.

This week, I think it’s time to pause and think about those things in your life that really matter. For me, it’s the love of family and the warmth of a home.

I’m thankful for the chance to serve my country and for the daily opportunities to help make a difference in someone’s life. I’m truly grateful to serve alongside such dedicated professionals. I feel blessed to live in a nation where we are free to celebrate the holidays of our choosing with the people of our choosing.

And most of all, I am thankful to be home this holiday season because I know how many of our brethren will be marking this Thanksgiving from a foreign land.

As you pause to give thanks for the things you’re most grateful for, please remember those who are not as fortunate.

Take a second as well to give thanks to the Airmen, Marines, Soldiers and Sailors who are fighting the Global War on Terrorism. And please remember their families as well. I am proud of all of you, now more than ever.
Combat airlift!

No comments: