Thursday, May 29, 2014

TOP STORY>>Airman learns critical seatbelt safety lesson

By Airman 1st Class Harry Brexel
19th Airlift Wing Public Affairs

Senior Airman Sean Quintero, a 186th Montana Air National Guard Airlift Squadron loadmaster, was 10 academic days away from graduating when he went through the most traumatic experience of his life.

In March 2014, Quintero learned a valuable lesson that he can never forget.

“I drove to downtown Little Rock to pick up two of my friends that went out,” Quintero said. “I was their ride that night.”

At the time, Quintero was stationed at Little Rock Air Force Base for about five months. He was at “The Rock” for loadmaster training. Quintero was retraining to become a C-130 loadmaster after being an F-15 crew chief for the Montana Air National Guard.

“After graduating I would have moved on to my final portion of training, which is flying,” said Quintero.

Quintero would not graduate on time though.

“I left the club that my friends were at, and starting driving back to base,” said Quintero.

Quintero was driving his black 2013 Dodge Ram 1500. “I worked two jobs to get that truck, I loved it,” he added.

Quintero and his friends were driving on La Harpe Boulevard in Little Rock.

“It was raining cats and dogs that night,” said Quintero. “I was going the speed limit, which was about 45 mph.”

As Quintero was driving, he attempted to pass a white Honda Civic behind him. After attempting to merge three times, Quintero sped up and finally got in front of the Honda.

“That is when he hit me,” said Quintero.

The right rear tire of his truck was hit and came off the ground, causing Quintero to lose control of the vehicle.

“The last thing I remember is passing the Civic,” Quintero said. “My friends had to tell me most of what happened after.”

Quintero’s truck veered right, he steered left and then overcorrected which caused him to slam into the center median.

His truck was totaled in seconds, his engine dropped to the ground, his hood was bent in half and the windshield was shattered.

Quintero’s friends walked away unharmed. They watched as the Honda Civic briefly stopped and then sped away.

“I woke up to Emergency Medical Services team and sirens,” said Quintero. “My face was covered in blood. I could hear my friends trying to talk to me, but the EMS team had arrived and was already trying to get me out. The fire rescue team told me that I would soon hear popping and banging.”

The Jaws of Life had to be used to get Quintero out of his truck. The driver side door dropped to the ground and gauze was applied to Quintero’s entire face.

“They took me to UAMS hospital,” said Quintero. “I don’t remember everything, but I remember the doctor and his team cutting my clothes off, checking my pelvis, collar bone, femur, knee, shin, everything.”

“I was pretty lucky,” said Quintero.

After two days of recovery at UAMS, Quintero was released. He had a metal plate put in for a compound fracture in his wrist.

Facial reconstruction surgery was also performed.

When Quintero overcorrected, the airbag went off and his watch hit him in the center of his face. Quintero’s tear ducts had to be sewn in and his eyelids were stitched back on.

The trauma team told Quintero that if the steering wheel had caved in just three more inches that he would have likely died from chest injuries. If the dashboard was one-inch closer to his legs, they would have been broken.

UAMS medical professionals also told Quintero that if the three Airmen weren’t all wearing seatbelts, at least two people could have been killed.

“Since the accident I am much more humble. I’ve become closer to friends and family,” said Quintero. “I drive very carefully and I’m conscious of the road.”

Quintero is almost completely healed. But he is still facing consequences from the accident.

“Due to my surgeries, I won’t be able to fly until the end of November,” Quintero said. “I’m going home, and then coming back when I am cleared.”

Though Quintero went through a horrible event, he is managing to find positives from the experience.

“I always tell other friends to wear their seatbelts,” said Quintero. “I am sharing my story to raise awareness.”

Quintero’s story is an example of how you can do everything right, be a good wingman and still get into a serious accident.

“I feel fortunate to be where I am now,” Quintero admitted. “I can’t imagine how much worse the outcome would have been if I was drunk, speeding or not wearing my seatbelt.”

According to Arkansas’ 2011 Traffic Crash Statistics, more than 230 died in vehicle accidents not wearing a seatbelt.

“It’s just not worth it,” Quintero said.

No comments: