Friday, May 31, 2013

FEATURE >> The Spurling Animal Shelter

By Airman 1st Class Scott Poe
19th Airlift Wing Public Affairs

Fifteen years ago Samson, a Yorkie, found a home in San Antonio, Texas. The home was that of Senior Master Sgt. Melissa Spurling. Seeing Samson, she fell in love. Samson was the first animal adopted by Spurling, driving her devotion and love for animals.

Living in San Antonio, she could not go anywhere without passing a stray cat or dog. She started taking in strays and giving them homes, thus establishing the foundation of The Spurling Animal shelter.

“Once I got Samson, who is 15 years old, I don’t know what it was, but I just knew I loved animals, that’s what started it all, it’s all Sam’s fault,” said Spurling.

There are currently 16 dogs and 35 cats all individually named, and being cared for by Spurling. When she first started rescuing animals, she would find them herself but after she made a name for herself people would call her about strays.

“When I started off, I would just find animals on my own, either on the side of the road or at a gas station… whereever there was an animal in need, I decided to pick it up,” said Spurling. “Once word got out, then people started calling me; they would find a dog and they would be like ‘what can you do with this dog,’” said Spurling.

When Spurling rescues an animal the first thing she does is take it to the vet to get checked out. Sometimes the animal may need immediate attention, because if it is sick it could be passed on to other animals.

“Once I rescue an animal, I take it to my vet for care; spay/neuter, vaccinations, heartworm test, and other tests,” said Spurling. “After they are healthy, I will bring them home.”

The main goal of the rescue is to give the animals a good life. When Spurling brings an animal home she is prepared to take care of that animal for the rest of its life. Adoption is a difficult process; not all homes are qualified to keep a pet. Potential adopters must fill out an application and references are called.

“I am extremely picky on potential homes,” she said. “I didn’t rescue them to be put back in another bad situation. My commitment extends for their entire lifetime. I do have an adoption application and I will call references and a vet before making any decisions. Not everyone deserves to have an animal. I say ‘no’ to homes more than I say ‘yes’.”

Spurlings most recent rescue was a rottweiler named Treasure. She was shot in the head three times for unknown reasons. Treasure is currently at a vet clinic undergoing rehab. She is expected to make a full recovery minus the use of one of her eyes.

Spurling plans on opening up a website for fans and potential adopters after her retirement. As of right now she said she is not taking in anymore strays due to space and financial reasons.

Spurling has no plans to expand due to economic reasons but does plan on maintaining the size and number of animals she has currently. One thing that will stay constant is the love she has for animals.

To learn more, contact Missy Spurling via Facebook or contact North Hills Animal Hospital at 501-835-3577.

No comments: