Thursday, November 12, 2009

COMMENTARY>>Ninety percent of life

By Chief Master Sgt.
Richard Turcotte
314th Airlift Wing command chief

As we celebrated Veterans Day this week I couldn’t help but be humbled by the men and women who wear the uniform in defense of our great nation. This was the eighth Veterans Day since we started operations in Afghanistan and the sixth since we started operations in Iraq. It is the perfect time to reflect upon what we do, why we do it, and to appreciate the many who have gone before.

To put it into perspective - only 1 percent of our population wears our Air Force uniform. More importantly, that one percent is an all volunteer force - most of which made the decision to serve during this time of war. It’s truly remarkable when you stop and think about it.

I have heard it said that “90 percent of life is just showing up -- it’s the additional 10 percent that makes the difference.” As professional Airmen, I would say we have certainly done more than just show up ... we have answered our nation’s call.

Now I’m not a math major, but even an old chief like me can do the simple math on the remaining 10 percent that brings value and importance to our lives. For me, it is my commitment to my family, my spiritual growth and my service to Airmen that validate what I do with that additional percentage.

What brings meaning and value to your additional 10 percent? Maybe it’s volunteering to help someone or an organization.

Maybe it’s strengthening your family. Maybe it’s fostering teamwork within your organization. Maybe it’s being the best in your profession. No matter what you do with the additional 10 percent--make it count.

I have heard Chief Master Sgt. Anthony Brinkley, 19th Airlift Wing command chief, say on several occasions that we should “strive to be better than average.” I agree with this philosophy. After all, we can be average just by showing up. But we all have chosen to do something with that additional 10 percent.

It began when you raised your right hand and chose to be anything but average -- to strive for excellence in all you do.

No comments: