Thursday, November 19, 2009

COMMENTARY>>Build your band of brothers

By Lt. Col. Nathan Allerheiligen
50th Airlift Squadron commander

My squadron members recently had the unique pleasure of attending a reunion of the members of the 50th Troop Carrier Squadron who served from 1952 - 1956 in Ashiya, Japan. We enjoyed several tales of the old days, feats of bravery in the face of enemy fire and a lot of good fellowship with those who established the legacy our unit now enjoys.

Bob Renes, our host and the organizer of the convention, shared these words with us: “Don’t let brotherhood slip through your fingers. Take the advice of an old geezer who’s been there and almost done that. Grab it and hang on.”

While reflecting on the immense camaraderie we enjoyed at the recent Airlift/Tanker Association National Convention and looking back to the meaning and intent of celebrating Veterans Day, the wisdom and weight of his message hit me -- it’s the fraternity of brothers and sisters in arms that drives the greatest esprit de corps and inspires countless heroes to charge into the fire fight versus cowering away. The sentiment rings loud and clear amongst the wounded warriors, sometimes even as they are still being dragged from the fight ...”Let me go back ... I want to be with my unit!” I was floored when a hero in my squadron, Senior Airman Brian Petras, who recently lost part of his leg due to cancer, came to me and said, “I want to fly again.

Let me come back and serve with my squadron.”

What drives that indomitable spirit that compels a warrior to sacrifice time with loved ones, opportunity for greater monetary gain, and even his or her life for the sake of answering their nation’s call? Brotherhood, fraternity and fellowship with their comrades. As we reflect on those veterans who’ve paid the ultimate price, let’s also remember the distinct force that brought them together and pushed them beyond the normal bounds of human bravery.

Build your band of brothers and sisters. Integrate your calling, your country and your family into a fused network of support, fellowship, and eternal bonds of friendship. I’ll close with Mr. Renes parting words to us at the reunion:
“Hang onto your brothers and sisters. Never let go.”

No comments: