Friday, March 6, 2009

A View From The Top>>Feedback is a two way street

By Chief Master Sgt. Anthony Brinkley
19th Airlift Wing command chief

Recently I was getting fitted with my chemical warfare gear by Airman 1st Class Gamble of the 19th Logistics Readiness Squadron, and began to reflect on how much each person on our team matters. We finished our equipment checklist a bit early, so I took the opportunity to chat with Airman Gamble. My first question to him was how was Little Rock AFB treating him? He then began to talk about the transition he and his family were making here.

I immediately saw that this was a young man with great promise and dedication. Already in possession of his college degree, this sharp Airman is ready to make a positive impact. I then asked him to give me some honest feedback about how I was doing as his command chief. He gave me a puzzled look and I assured him that I was serious. I learned a long time ago that each of us has the ability to make our workplace environment and community better, regardless of position or rank.

Airman Gamble proceeded to give me some suggestions on some things that I was doing well, as well as areas to continue to focus on. One of the big takeaways I left with was that he and his fellow Airmen want to be heard, and I agreed that we owed them that. I told him that the leadership of this wing works for him and others like him, so it’s important that all understand feedback is a two way street.

Often those of us in leadership are great at giving out information, but sometimes not as good at listening to those around us. So my challenge to you this week is to take seriously the perspectives those around you have to offer, no matter who they are. Thanks for listening this week.

Combat Airlift!

No comments: