Friday, March 27, 2009

Commentary>>Do you have a plan?

By Chief Master Sgt. David A. Flebotte
314th Maintenance Group superintendent

One of my favorite sayings is “do you have a plan?” The other day I was talking to one of the sharpest senior airmen in the 314th Maintenance Group and I asked him if he was staying in the Air Force or getting out. The reply was, "I’m getting out, Chief." I, of course, asked him why. His answer was, "this isn’t what I want to do with my life" and he went on to explain his plan and I was impressed. I went on to ask, how he was doing on his degree. He explained it would take six years to reach his goal. He said his wife was in school and would graduate about five months after he separates. I was again impressed, thinking to myself, what a sharp couple. So, being the nosy parent, I asked who was paying for her education. His reply was, I am. That really got me going. The more questions I asked, the wider his eyes got. I could see he had not thought through his plan and let me tell you this Airman is sharp.

Being a chief near the end of my career, I am experiencing some of the things this airman is experiencing so why not share a little of my wisdom. Here are a few things to think about before separation.

First, two years before separation, go to the Transition Assistance Program at the Airman and Family Readiness Center. This program covers a wide variety of information, from resume writing to actually practicing for a job interview. They bring in Human Resource managers from all over Arkansas and set up job fairs. They have phenomenal programs and an abundance of free resources to help you plan!

Next, you need to calculate exactly how much you need to earn annually to sustain your standard of living. Create a budget and write down every cent you spend for a minimum of six months. That should get you close to your actual income requirements. Dig deep and think of things like, how much your car tags and auto insurance would cost in your home state. Make sure you have at least six months of income saved. The average time it takes to get a job in today’s economy is five months. Define your educational goals. If you require six years for your degree, the GI Bill will only cover three years. Would it be wiser to continue in the Air Force for four additional years and use Tuition Assistance to complete the first three years? If your spouse is working, is the job secure? Will you have enough income to sustain you while completing your education?

In today’s economy, lots of Air Force member’s extended families are under financial stress. Do not add to that stress with poor planning. They may not be able to come to your rescue.

After 30 years, I still don’t have all the answers, so I utilize all my friends who have already transitioned. Always look before you leap. It is not my intention to tell anyone to stay or go. If you completed four years of service you have done more for your country than most.

My goal is to help you make solid decisions and ensure a successful future for you and your family.

No comments: