Thursday, September 4, 2008

COMMENTARY>>‘It’s your base ... let’s make it great’

By Lt. Col. Doug Swift
314th Civil Engineer Squadron commander

I bet you are all thinking that it is a pretty arrogant thing for the civil engineer commander to say … “It’s my base,” but it’s your base too, and we all sometimes forget that. I wish everyone drove to work and thought “it’s my base” and thought of ways to make it better.

Improving quality of life doesn’t always require a new facility, a new club or even a pay raise; it is sometimes as easy as picking up after yourself and others. It is through these simple acts that we all improve everyone’s pride about where they live, work and play. With your help, Little Rock Air Force Base will remain the premiere installation of choice for our top-notch Airmen.

Last week I stopped at an intersection and rolled down my window to remind the driver next to me to please use a hands free device with his cell phone. I then drove through the intersection as an approaching driver flicked a lit cigarette butt out in front of me. I parked near clothing sales and witnessed two Airmen walk over the same smashed fast-food cup on the sidewalk just next to the garbage can. After picking it up, I received my inspiration for this article. We’re better than that! It doesn’t matter if you are active duty, a retiree, a dependent or guest of this base, you are better than that!

Most of us clean our house and work in the yard so we can feel good about it, and we are proud to have neighbors and guests see that we care about our things and care about ourselves.

We feel good about being neighbors and hosts. Our base is no different, it is our home. Your pride is reflected everyday in the way we present our base. The grounds and refuse contractors can only do so much, the rest is up to us. If you see someone litter, correct them. If something needs to be picked up, make a call, or if you are able, clean it yourself. Take that positive, inspiring attitude home and do the same there. Picking up your paper each day, bringing your garbage cans in, mowing your lawn and trimming lawns and bushes all have a positive effect on the pride in your community.

I want everyone to think “it’s my base” when you come to work or come home through that gate. I wish everyone could feel the pride I feel calling Little Rock AFB my base and the pride I get every day I am able to improve one little thing. Set your personal standards high. Your actions and words will be infectious to those around you and so that we all will help you build the professional image and pride it takes to be the best installation in the command … no matter what command we are in.

It’s your base, let’s make it great.

No comments: