Thursday, February 9, 2012

COMMENTARY>>Getting to know the new Commander

Editor’s note: Col. Brian Robinson is the newly minted commander of the 19th Airlift Wing. This week, the 19th AW Public Affairs staff sat down with him and asked a couple of questions about himself, his new position at Little Rock and his nickname “Smokey”.

Q: Where did you go to college?

A: Philadelphia University, Penn. I majored in computer science.

Q: Any favorite subjects in school?

A: Software engineering, world history, economics, physics.

Q: What are three books that have impacted or significantly influenced your life?

A: 1. We Were Soldiers by Harold G. Moore and Joseph L. Galloway. The leadership displayed in such a tough situation, such an interesting time in American history, during the Vietnam War, is really astounding. It was also a time where the military became more concerned with taking care of the families of service members.

2. The J Curve by Ian Bremmer. The book is relevant today; it’s about the process of stabilization from closed societies to open societies. It can directly be applied to our experiences in OEF, OIF and New Dawn.

3. Colin Powell’s biography. I think this is just a great story, to see a man’s humble beginnings and his rise to success. General Powell had to work hard to get where he is and had to create some of his own opportunities.

Q: What’s been your best experience in the Air Force?

A: The jury is still out on that. I can’t pinpoint one single best experience, but there have been a few highlights. I enjoyed being an instructor pilot, and being a part of planning for the surge in Iraq in March of 2003 was a huge highlight.

Q: As the new commander at Little Rock Air Force Base, what’s your vision for the base?

A: I don’t think I have any different vision than the previous commanders here. I see the base as a train heading down the track, and we’re just switching engineers right now. Of course we’ll accomplish the mission with safety, and continue to move towards being the premier base in Air Mobility Command, and we will deliver.

Q: What can the men and women of Little Rock expect from you as the new commander?

A: From me, they can expect honesty. I always try to give people the straight scoop, whether it’s good or bad news. Of course I want to ensure good order and discipline in accordance with the core values of the Air Force. Above all they can expect that I will do all I can to properly care for them and their families.

Q: Do you have any special hobbies or interests?

A: I like to run, play soccer, read about history, spend time with my family and travel.

Q: Can you tell us a little about your family?

A: They’re great. My wife is from Hawaii, we met on active duty in Oklahoma, she got out of the service after 10 years. We have two sons, academically motivated and athletic, interested in a lot of outdoors stuff.

Q: Who’s your favorite soccer team?

A: Worldwide? That’d be Chelsea, although internationally I was very impressed with the Dutch team at the last world cup.

Q: Any favorite era in history you like to read about?

A: I’ve always been interested in World War II; however, the recent history of America, from the 1970s onward, is a very exciting era to live in and interests me a lot too.

Q: Any places in particular you like to travel?

A: I love travelling to New Zealand and Southern Europe, but my favorite place of all time to stop at was Antarctica. We we’re doing a drop down there at McMurdo, we didn’t get to stay long because the plane has a hard time starting if it sits toolong in those frigid temperatures, but being able to go to Antarctica, even for four hours, was really cool.

Q: What’s your favorite food?

A: Mediterranean or seafood. Favorite dish is Salmon anyway you can cook it.

Q: What’s your favorite movie?

A: Hunt for Red October or the Bourne Identity Series.

Q: Favorite American President?

A: George Washington. It seems kind of cliché, and I have been impressed with a lot of recent presidents, but to look at how rough forming a democracy is, and has been, the courage and conviction he had to not only win the Revolutionary War, but continue serving the union after is amazing. The best part is, afterwards, he just went back to being Mr. Washington.

Q: How did you get the nickname “Smokey?”

A: That’s classified. Some things are better as a mystery.

Q: Is there anything else you would like to add or say to the service members and citizens on base?

A: I’m happy to be here, happy to serve and look forward to helping people as much as I can here. I hope everyone finds me as approachable as previous commanders. Thanks for the opportunity to serve you.

No comments: