Thursday, January 26, 2012

COMMENTARY>>Black Knights, Team Little Rock, Community…

By Col. Mike Minihan
19th Airlift Wing commander

No words can capture the amount of gratitude and respect I have for You, your Families, and this Community. “Thank You!” falls embarrassingly short of what I and my family owe each of you.

It has been an honor to watch you in action. You make magic happen both at home and abroad.

You dominate our Nation’s enemies in combat. You train daily to a standard worthy of the title “C-130 Center of Excellence.” You execute a state mission to a level that leaves 49 other states extremely envious. And you provide meaningful support to our most important assets…Airmen and Families.

On April 25, 2011, I watched you fight for each other on “Miracle Monday.” I’ve seen some powerful things in my life…but never to the level of what I witnessed after the tornado struck.

You perform under pressure. Your combat, crisis, and inspection record proves it.

You define resiliency. You define community.

To truly understand the level of your sacrifice, you need to see your families cry in pain on the day you deploy. You need to see their strengths and struggles on day 30…day 60…day 90 and beyond. You need to see them…along with your parents, grandparents, and friends…bursting with pride and excitement in the waning minutes before you arrive back home.

Since August 2, 2010, I have dreaded the moment of my departure. That moment is now.

You will continue to support Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coastguardsmen in harms way with unrivaled combat airlift.

You will continue to set the standard for Total Force. You are a seamless team…Airmen, Guardsmen, Reservists, Civilians, Retirees, Community, Elected Officials, and Families…it takes everybody to execute our mission and live up to our sacred vow of taking care of each other.

My physical journey with you ends on Jan. 31…but my love, respect, and gratitude for you and your families will endure. You made me a better husband, father, Airman…citizen.

Ashley and I will forever treasure our time with you all.

No comments: