Thursday, September 30, 2010

TOP STORY > >Sky’s the limit

by Ashley Mangin
19th Airlift Wing Public Affairs volunteer

Air shows are a great opportunity for civilians to gain a better understanding of the military mission.

They allow adults, children and entire families to feel like kids again. They also occasionally spark interest in aviation.

Capt. April Brown, 41st Airlift Squadron pilot and training officer, became interested in flying while attending an air show at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.

“My first air show was the Miramar air show in San Diego, Calif., when I was about 10 years old,” Captain Brown said. “My father worked for Red Baron Pizza, who were sponsors of the air show, and he got flightline tickets along with a few other perks.

Meeting the pilots and getting up close to the planes were a few [of the perks].”

That experience would prove to be aquintessential moment in Captain Brown’s life.

“At the Air Show I became in awe of what being a pilot entailed, and thought it would be the coolest job in the world to get paid to fly an airplane,” she said. “After watching the Blue Angels and other acts fly that day, I knew I wanted to be a pilot.”

Being from San Diego and experiencing an air show on a Marine Corps Air Station didn’t keep her from joining the Air Force.

“I felt I had a better chance of flying in the Air Force,” she said.

Her parents backed her decision to follow her dream into the wild blue yonder.

“According to my mom, in middle school I began talking incessantly about becoming a pilot and I became interested in attending the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs,” she said. “I’ve always been a focused individual and very goal-oriented, so I set out to make my dream come true even as a child. My parents were very supportive of me and always told me I could do anything I put my mind to. They claim they didn’t do anything but encourage me, which was obviously enough.”

“[Going to the Air Force Academy] was like a dream come true. Everything I worked so hard for was finally paying off,” Captain Brown said.

Captain Brown’s dedication is noticed and appreciated by those around her.

“Since her arrival at the 41st Airlift Squadron, Captain Brown’s performance has been impressive,” said Col. Gilberto Martinez, 41st Airlift Squadron commander. “We are happy to have her as part of the Black Cat team.”

She believes that her dream was worth the wait.

“My face always hurts from smiling so much when I land,” she said. “I can’t believe I get paid to do this. It’s the best job ever.”

Even though Captain Brown has achieved her dream of becoming a pilot, she’s not done yet.

“As far as my goals as a pilot go, I would like to upgrade to aircraft commander followed by instructor pilot.”

To all of the little Combat Airlifters who have a dream for when they grow up, Captain Brown offers words of wisdom.

“You can do anything you put your mind to. The sky is the limit - literally - and you can become anything you dream of being.”

No comments: