Thursday, December 3, 2009

COMMENTARY>>There are relatives and then there’s family

By Chief Master Sgt. Anthony Brinkley
19th Airlift Wing command chief

In life there are people connected by genetics through birth, such as siblings, cousins or grandparents, and we call them relatives. Then there are people who have no biological connection, yet when you need them they are there for you. I call this group family. You see all relatives may not be family, yet many in our family here at Team Little Rock are not relatives.

Over the last week, I have had to watch my father pass from this life to the next and facilitate his arrangements. This period has crystallized how much family we have here at “The Rock.” I am astounded to see when our community finds out there is a need how quickly and decisively they react. We have many new people on our base and in our community and they are missing their relatives, yet I submit to you that if you just get outside your comfort zone you may find out that your family will grow tremendously here.

After being in the Air Force for about 26 years, I can easily say that I have much more family than relatives. I encourage you to look at those around you daily to help them understand a biological connection does not make you a family, but it’s the willingness to stick by someone through the good and the bad. I know many people who joined the military to get away from relatives and gain a family.

So this week I want to stress the importance of each one of us working towards having each other’s back as a military and civilian family. Because at the end of the day, our nation is counting on us to be as strong as we can as we defend freedom.

Our forefathers got it right when they said, “out of many one,” and although you may not see many relatives here, you have a huge family.

Combat Airlift!

No comments: