Thursday, September 10, 2009

COMMENTARY>>Carrying weapons in vehicles on base

Q. I’m inquiring about carrying weapons in private vehicles on base. I, along with many other members of the “Rock,” am licensed by Arkansas and 27 other reciprocal states, to lawfully carry concealed firearms. I carry my concealed firearm with me every time I leave my home, unless I’m on base. It’s a comfort to know I’m armed and in a position to defend myself.

However, that feeling of safety and comfort disappears when I’m traveling to the base because I know I can’t carry my weapon on base. Don’t get me wrong; I know we are all kept safe and secure while on base thanks to the excellent job our security forces and contract civilians. However, when we’re commuting to base, leaving for lunch and commuting home, we are vulnerable. In light of the recent attack carried out against the Army Recruiting Center in Little Rock, we now know we could easily become targets in Central Arkansas.

As a former security forces member, I understand only certain individuals are authorized by the base commander to carry concealed firearms in uniform as part of their duty performance. I’m requesting the policy be reviewed to see if those with concealed carry licenses can maintain their firearm in their vehicle while on base. Even if I had to use a trigger lock or separate the ammunition from the weapon, (one in the console and the other in the glove box, etc.), it would be better than being unarmed.

I don’t hunt on base, but I’m sure there is a policy hunters must follow to bring their firearms on base. Maybe it could be applied to concealed carry license holders, too. I understand the safety and security of everyone on base is paramount and must be the first concern. Your consideration of this request is greatly appreciated.

A. As a former security forces member, you realize the complications associated with carrying a concealed weapon on an Air Force base. In fact, Section 930, Title 18, United States Federal Criminal Code states “Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in federal facilities, buildings, or installations is illegal. Anyone who attempts to or violates this provision shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than a year, or both.”

The bottom line: unless you are carrying a concealed weapon in support of a federal mission, weapons will not be brought onto a federal installation. There are a couple of exceptions that do apply specifically to Little Rock AFB.

Individuals may transport/bring their unloaded and unconcealed weapon(s) on base for authorized hunting activities or for storage in their base residences, but the weapon(s) and ammunition must be separate and individuals should be traveling directly to their homes or authorized hunting areas after signing in at the law enforcement desk. Traveling with weapons on base should be minimized to the greatest extent possible.

I understand your fears and your right to protect yourself and your family as permitted by the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms. However, when operating on an Air Force Base and other federal installations there is established security and law enforcement in place. The installation commander is responsible for the safety and security of the base population and in this particular instance, good order and safety outweighs an individual’s personal rights. Without these federal rules in place, it can quickly become confusing to first responders as to who is a perpetrator/terrorist or a “good Samaritan” trying to defuse a hostile or tense situation. The Defenders of the Rock work hard every day to provide a safe and secure base for those who work and reside on Little Rock AFB. Thanks for your inquiry.

No comments: