Thursday, July 16, 2009

COMMENTARY>>ID checks help keep base safe

Q: My wife and I entered the base at about 1:30 p.m. and traffic was backed up. When we asked the gate guard about it, he said there was a 100 percent ID check. I told him that had we known about it before we reached the gate, my wife would have had her ID ready. He pointed to an overhead sign – one we certainly didn’t notice on our way in. Leaving base, I asked my wife to look at the sign and see if she could read it. We could each see black lettering on a less than white background. Although nothing was said, I could tell the gate guard was frustrated because the sign was on but not many saw it.

When we entered the gate is I was intent on watching the car in front of me to avoid an accident and not glancing around the area, which is probably why I did not notice the sign between the two flashing red lights. However, because this sign is not obvious to those of us who have been coming in the LRAFB gate for a long time, you may want to place an eye catching sign in the roadway about 100’ from the gate to alert drivers when there is a 100 percent card check.

A: As we strive to make installation entry as convenient as possible; making things convenient doesn’t always mesh with security. In fact, convenience is often times inversely proportional to safety and security. The pre-Sept. 11entry methods are forever a thing of the past, and sacrificing security for convenience cannot outweigh the other.

Although I cannot reveal specific security measures, I will do my best to explain. The 100 percent ID check signs at the gates are pre-Sept. 11 with an original purpose of notifying motorists during nighttime hours when the checks were in progress.

Since Sept. 11, these checks have been incorporated during random daylight hours as well. In the near future, our hope is to eliminate the signs altogether. If a would-be terrorist is aware we’re checking all credentials, he’s more likely to turn away.

Even though the deterrent factor was successful, we’d rather have him in handcuffs versus searching for another target. With the unknown on our side, the element of surprise is with our civilian contract security officers. From an antiterrorism and force protection perspective, 100 percent ID checks have produced countless detentions and arrests of people attempting entry.

We appreciate your concerns and will continue to do our best to facilitate secure, safe and expeditious base entry ultimately resulting in Team Little Rock producing Combat Airlift.

No comments: