Thursday, November 20, 2008

COMMENTARY>>We can never say ‘thank you’ enough

By Maj. James Culpepper
19th Comptroller Squadron

One recent Sunday afternoon, I happened upon an inspirational scene as I arrived early to send off one of our deploying warriors at the Little Rock National Airport. I watched as another group of family and friends welcomed home their soldier from his tour of duty. I continued to watch as his two young boys handed their dad welcome home cards they had made. The pride on their faces as they looked up at their dad and the joy they displayed as they reached to take hold of his hand moved me.

Their dad had given the best years of his life for serving his country and his family had sacrificed much. As they walked past, all I could muster was a simple ‘thank you.’

Two words but two important words; during the Battle of Britain, Winston Churchill famously said that “never was so much owed by so many to so few.” The same words could be used for today’s Airmen, Sailors, Soldiers, Marines and Coast Guardsmen because we are an all-volunteer force that selflessly stands in the gap for more than 300 million Americans and billions of freedom-loving people.

I have the privilege of sending Airmen from my squadron on deployment taskings. I always end by thanking them for their sacrifice and letting them know how proud I am of their service to their country. As we begin this holiday season, please remember the many families who have a loved one deployed. My prayer is that saying thank you never gets old as we can never say thank-you enough.

No comments: