Monday, June 23, 2008

COMMENTARY >> 'I'm sorry'...two simple words

By Chief Master Sgt. Jeffrey VanScoy
314th Comptroller Squadron


“I’m sorry.” These two words can mean the difference between success and failure as a leader.

As we go through life, we are bound to make mistakes. We have all made bad decisions or offended someone even when our intentions were pure. Sometimes the problem isn’t the problem. You see, it’s not always the mistake that makes us fail as leaders, it’s how we react to the mistake.

I am speaking of those times when we blow it with our co-workers, subordinates or supervisor. When we make a mistake, we need to humble ourselves, say “I’m sorry” and correct it.

This is not easy because it means admitting that we are not perfect. The ironic part is that although we may not want to admit we are wrong, the people around us know what is going on and often wait to see what we do next. By accepting responsibility and working with others to resolve the mistake, we gain the respect of those around us.

I must admit that recently even an old Chief like myself offended someone in another unit. Though my motive was to resolve a perceived issue, I did not have all the facts. After my blunder was brought to my attention, I could have been defensive, or driven by pride. Alternatively, I could decide to own up to my error and apologize.

The result is the difference between a good relationship and a bad one. Leaders, don’t be so focused with your position that you can’t admit you made a mistake and need help to fix it. You will actually gain the respect of your subordinates and peers.

All it takes is two words.

No comments: