Thursday, June 14, 2007

SPORTS>>Karl Bolt selected by Phillies in 15th round

U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. –

Recently graduated Air Force first baseman/outfielder Karl Bolt was selected by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 15th round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft June 8.

Bolt is the second Air Force Academy baseball player ever drafted in the 51-year history of the program. A four-year letterwinner, Bolt was the 473rd selection in the draft. He joins Mike Thiessen as the lone two Falcons ever to be drafted.

Thiessen went in the 42nd round to the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 2001 draft. As a senior, Bolt led the Falcons in hitting (.349), hits (68), home runs (8), doubles (16), runs (34) and RBI (47). A first-team all-Mountain West Conference selection, Bolt also was selected as the team MVP for the second-consecutive season.

“It has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid to play pro baseball,” Bolt said.

“And to get the chance to fulfill my dream is incredible. I am really excited about this opportunity, but first and foremost, I look forward to my first assignment at Robins Air Force Base, Ga., as a logistics readiness officer.

“I fully intend to fulfill my commitment to the Air Force and look forward to serving my country. If somewhere down the road, there is an opportuntity to play professional baseball, I would certainly look into it,” he said.

“I also cannot thank Air Force Academy Super-intendent General Regni and Athletic Director Dr. Mueh enough for their guidance and support in this process.”

A native of Stockton, Calif., and a product of Lincoln High School, Bolt left his mark at the academy, ranking amongst the top 10 all-time in several categories.

A career .334 hitter, Bolt ranks fourth all-time in hits (232) and games played (200), seventh in home runs (33) and eighth in RBI (148).

He also ranks fourth in walks (93) and hit by pitches (35), fifth in total bases (390) and seventh in doubles (47).

No comments: