Friday, March 30, 2007

TOP STORY >>Lieutenant 'happy to be back in Arkansas'

By Tech. Sgt. Arlo Taylor
314th Strategic Information Flight

As the lights dimmed on the Kodak Theater stage March 23, Miss Arkansas USA Kelly George, an Air Force second lieutenant and 314th Airlift Wing deputy chief of public affairs, proudly marched off, packed her tiara and evening gown and readied for her next mission.

Second Lieutenant George’s ascent to the national spotlight of the Miss USA pageant in Hollywood was a media phenomenon gaining coverage by Fox News, numerous national newspapers and the Air Force Times.

As much fun as the glitz and glamour were, Lieutenant George said she’s happy to be back in Arkansas.

“I love going to local community events and interacting one on one with people. Being Miss Arkansas USA has also opened a lot of doors for me that wouldn’t normally be there for me. I’ve enjoyed representing the Air Force and women in the Air Force in particular,” she said. “I’ve gotten e-mails from other service members all over the world wishing me luck and supporting me…that means the most.”

She said her taste of the Tinseltown life was an experience she’ll remember. Contestants were whisked around Hollywood with chaperones in tow, given an exclusive shopping spree on Beverley Hills’ Rodeo Drive and treated to VIP tours of many Los Angeles landmarks.

“I got a once in a lifetime experience to be in a live, nationally televised show. I got to meet celebrities, go to amazing events, and was interviewed by national media. I’ve been able to make contacts that will help my career, and also have gotten a taste of what it’s like to be in the spotlight,” she said. “It also put everything in perspective; every time girls would complain of being in heels all day I would just think; I have brothers and sisters in service giving their lives overseas right now ... I’m counting my blessings.”

Her consolation prize – donning her BDUs and boots, going back to work and returning to her normal life – is a prize she treasures.

“I love my job and the people I work with. It’s nice to be back home with my friends and my puppies. I have a better appreciation for celebrities who are looked at everywhere they go and need chaperones to set foot out the door,” 2nd Lt. George said. “We lived that life for two-and-a-half weeks, and it’s hard. You are under a lot of scrutiny, so you learn to develop more of a thick skin."

Though she didn’t bring home the Miss USA crown, the lieutenant is in an exclusive group of women who have competed for the prize.

“The Miss Universe Organization told us that statistically you are more likely to have a son play in the NFL than to have a daughter compete in the Miss USA pageant. That’s a pretty amazing accomplishment,” Lieutenant George said.

“There are a lot of women who have competed in pageants as a stepping stone for their career – Diane Sawyer, Nancy O’Dell, and many others. I just look at this experience as just one of the amazing things I hope to accomplish with my life.”
Her presence on national TV showed all of America a positive message and image that resonates no matter the venue.
“This contest has helped me hone my leadership skills, build and maintain confidence in myself, and hopefully, has allowed me to influence other young women to do the same,” Lieutenant George said.

“I want young women to know they should never give up on their dreams. Hard work, self discipline and good support from peers, superiors and family can take you a long way.” 

“Kelly represents the Air Force and Arkansas well,” said Brig. Gen. Kip Self, 314th AW commander. “She takes to heart the spirit of service in dedicating herself to civic duty and service to the country.” 

Lieutenant George’s reign as Miss Arkansas USA continues until October 2007 when she passes on her crown.