Friday, November 2, 2007

TOP STORY >>What will your greatest contribution be?

By Brig. Gen. Wayne Schatz
314th Airlift Wing Commander

Recently, the Secretary of the Air Force addressed a series of concerns weighing on Airmen. Toward the end of the session, he was asked what he thinks his greatest contribution to the service has been during his tenure. This got me to thinking... When I retire, what legacy will I leave behind? Will I have made a difference to my base, my Air Force or my country?

It’s true that Secretary Michael W. Wynne’s contributions will be far greater than yours or mine. By virtue of his position, his scope of responsibility is greater and his ability to impact people is vast. But each of us is in a position to contribute to our organizations, starting right now. We may not be able to change the world, or even the Air Force, but we can change ourselves and impact the lives of those around us.

We all know we’re being asked time and again to do more with less. Every time you develop a way to work smarter rather than harder, you’re leaving a situation better than you found it. If you can show a fellow Airman how to do a job better, safer and faster, you’re improving your Air Force.

No matter the contributions I’ve made thus far in my career, I hope I’ve yet to achieve my greatest. I would like to believe we can always improve and that our next contribution will be our best yet. As I think about my actions, I consider how they will make a difference. And I focus on the changes that will leave a legacy for the Airmen who have yet to even join the ranks of our Air Force.

I challenge you to focus your actions. Find a way, no matter how small, every day to improve upon your legacy. Whether you choose to serve your country for four years or 24, leave your fellow Airmen with something greater than you began with. I have absolutely no doubt you can do it. Knowing what you are capable of makes me extremely proud to serve with you. Combat Airlift!

No comments: