Friday, November 2, 2007

TOP STORY >>Catch someone doing right

By Maj. John Franklin
314th Maintenance Squadron commander

Did you do right this past week? Did anyone notice?

My bet is that most of you did your job, did it well, and never got a pat on the back for your service.

Doing right is very commonplace and because of that it slips by our radar all too easily.

As a commander of a large organization, it’s easy to spend most of my time putting out fires, while all along missing the 99 percent of my squadron doing their job and doing it right.

I was reminded of this on an outing to one of my flights when a chief of mine was showing me the fine  work his guys had accomplished and that he was simply looking for people “doing right.” I looked at him in amazement.

It was plainly obvious how simple it is yet so easy to forget. People are doing right all around us, but most of the time we wait for that next package or EPR to highlight it. Don’t wait. Recognize on the spot those with the quiet integrity to do their best all the time. Give them a pat on the back, an Atta Boy or Coin them. It doesn’t matter; just recognize them for their service and for doing right.

So I encourage you to try not to spend all your time on the fires or issues of the day. Instead get out to the trenches and look for those around you who are plugging along each and everyday and “Doing Right.”  

No comments: