Friday, June 8, 2012

COMMENTARY >> Lost for words

By Colonel Mark G. Czelusta
314th Airlift Wing Commander


How do you say farewell to the Airmen…to a base…to a community…and to a mission that you love and in many ways defines you? I have to say that this is perhaps the most difficult part of what awaits us on

June 12, 2012, my final day as the 314th Airlift Wing Commander. Lost for words (a rare occasion for me), I can only offer two: Thank You.

To the C-130 mission: thank you for giving me some of the greatest adventures anyone could ask for. Combat airlift is tough, rewarding work. But it is so vitally important. The rewards of a well-executed low level, formation, airdrop or assault mission are among the greatest thrills I’ve enjoyed over my time here at The Rock. Very simply, I envy each of our crews, maintainers, support personnel and graduates for the adventure they are about to have, and for the chance to continue experiencing these thrills and rewards.

To the local community and the people of Arkansas: thank you for making my family, our Airmen and me feel at home and appreciated. Your generosity, commonsense and good humor are benchmarks for the Air Force. Your kindness and caring following the tornado over a year ago, your pride in our accomplishments following the Air Mobility Rodeo and your ongoing support to improve education at all levels are just three of the many reasons why you will continue to be among the most elite of any military community. Let there be no doubt: this is your base, your mission, and we are your Airmen.

To the entirety of Team Little Rock: thank you for what you have done, and continue to do, for our nation, our Air Force and for each other. The ways the three total force wings and all our partners look out for and sacrifice for each other—both at home and while deployed—are humbling to say the least. As I contemplate our collective futures, I can only see goodness.

And to the Airmen of the 314th Airlift Wing: thank you for the opportunity to be called your commander. Your ownership of our mission, unapologetically high standards, sense of partnership and approach to innovation and focus made our collective success a “done deal.” Continue being quietly excellent in everything you do, and that success will continue, I promise. While our nation and our Air Force clearly deserve each of you, I still cannot begin to fathom what I did to earn the opportunity to lead you. You all “get it” like nobody else.

With Colonel Scott Brewer, Colonel Todd Pavich and Chief Master Sergeant Jesse Stirling at the helm, I know that the nation’s C-130 Center of Excellence is in good hands. But let there be no doubt, when Susan, Madison and I leave The Rock on June 12, 2012, a piece of our heart will remain with all of you. Godspeed.

No comments: