Friday, May 18, 2012

TOP STORY >> LEADing the way are two Airmen stationed at base

By Staff Sgt. Jacob Barreiro
19th Airlift Wing Public Affairs

Two Airmen stationed here at Little Rock Air Force Base have been selected for enrollment in the Leaders Encouraging Airmen Development program.

The program sends them to the Air Force Academy Preparatory School for a year, and gives them the opportunity to attend the Air Force Academy afterwards, with the end goal of becoming a commissioned officer.

One of several options for enlisted Airmen looking to transition to becoming an officer, the LEAD program is designed to accept only the most dedicated and mature Airmen looking to become a cadet at the Air Force Academy.

Airman 1st Class Jacob Martin, a 19th Equipment Maintenance Squadron aerospace maintenance journeyman, and Airman 1st Class Solomon Hainna, a 50th Airlift Squadron C-130 loadmaster, moved closer to their goal of becoming commissioned officers when they were selected for the program.

Both said they always wanted to serve in the military, and both said the goal was to serve as an officer.

“I always knew since I was young that I was going to be in the military,” said Martin, who was informed of his selection at his squadron’s commander’s call. “I fully knew, before I swore in, that I was going to do at least 20 years. I wanted to go to the Academy, but didn’t take academics seriously enough when I was in high school.”

“Serving in the military was always a goal of mine,” said Hainna, who was informed of his selection at a retirement ceremony. “I came in enlisted because I didn’t want to wait to join. I found out about the LEAD program in basic training, and as soon as I got my chance, I started working with all the officers I knew to apply.”

Martin, 21 years old, barely met the age requirements to be selected for the LEAD program, and said he’s glad to get the opportunity to go the prep school.

“I have almost no college experience,” said Martin. “That’s why the prep school is such a big deal to me. It would have been very intimidating to get a direct appointment to the Academy ... I’m really glad I got the opportunity to go to the prep school first.”

Hainna, 20 years old, recruited as a basketball player at the Academy, said he hopes to improve as a scholar and athlete in the prep school and the Academy.

“I hope to hone my academic skills, since I’ve been out of college for a while, and I’ll continue to get ready to play basketball in a pretty challenging division one conference,” he said.

The two Airmen are scheduled to report to the prep school in July, and will quickly be immersed in academic courses along with military challenges, including an 18-day military indoctrination period, the prep school’s version of basic military training. Each said they think their military experience should benefit them at the school.

Both Airmen are expecting to be challenged during their year in the prep school, but both said they welcome the challenges and encourage others to follow their dreams, regardless of how difficult or challenging they seem.

“The process (to get accepted by the LEAD program) is a hard and difficult one, but it’s worth it” said Hainna. “My advice to anyone trying to achieve something is, even though it’s hard, stick it out, nothing worth having is easy.”

“As far as advice goes, I think people would be surprised at how many people want them to succeed at these programs,” said Martin. “People want to help you, I didn’t have any problems with this whole process, and I’m glad for all the help I’ve got.”

No comments: