Thursday, October 7, 2010

TOP STORY > >Air show homecoming

By Ashley Mangin
19th Airlift Wing Public Affairs volunteer

Four performers of the “Thunder over the Rock” air show are coming home to Arkansas.

This year Maj. Rick Goodman and Capt. Thomas Bowden, both with the United States Air Force Thunderbirds; Navy Lt. Robert Stimis, Super Hornet Tactical Demontration Team pilot and Capt. John Meyers, Air Combat Command A-10 East Coast Demonstration Team safety observer are all looking forward to returning to Little Rock Air Force Base not just as participants in the air show but as former Arkansas residents.

Major Goodman is the No. 5 lead solo pilot for the Thunderbirds.

“My father served in the Air Force for 23 years,” said Major Goodman. “I grew up surrounded by [the Air Force], traveling all over the country and all over the world. I loved the experiences and dynamic life the Air Force offered. It was an easy decision for me to serve my country in the Air Force I loved.”

“Flying for the Thunderbirds at the same time is a dream come true and a truly humbling experience,” he added. “It’s an absolute honor to travel around the country and the world to represent the nearly 700,000 men and women serving as Air Force Airmen. We strive to represent the pride, precision and professionalism those Airmen.”

Major Goodman is looking forward to showing pride for Arkansas and for the Air Force.

“I’m truly proud of my home state and my family therein,” Maj. Goodman said. “I look forward to showcasing the pride and professionalism of the Thunderbird Team and the entire Air Force at Thunder Over the Rock at Little Rock AFB.”

Captain Bowden is the No. 9 flight surgeon for the Thunderbirds.

“It is an immense honor to be able to represent all of our Airmen, 40,000 of which are currently deployed defending our freedoms,” said Captain Bowden. “It is fast-paced, but very enjoyable. We have a 130-member team, representing nearly 30 specialties in the Air Force. It becomes a family both at home and on the road. It’s incredible to see how that many people function as unit with such precision as well as the camaraderie felt. The public sees the end result of many hours of dedication and sweat that goes on behind the scenes.”

Captain Bowden is looking forward to coming back to Little Rock AFB as a Thunderbird.

“I’m very excited to be able to bring the Thunderbirds back to Arkansas,” Capt. Bowden continued. “It has been awhile since the Thunderbirds have been to The Rock. Having been stationed at Little Rock for two years, I am very aware of the hard work and dedication that Airmen from The Rock demonstrate on a daily basis, and am looking forward to seeing everyone again.”

Navy Lt. Robert Stimis flies with the Super Hornet Tactical Demonstration Team and is proud to be doing his job.

“Representing the men and women of the United States Navy by flying with the Super Hornet Tactical Demo Team has been one of the more rewarding experiences I’ve had since joining the Navy in 2002,” Lieutenant Stimis said. “It’s a great privilege to be able to showcase the abilities of our aircraft and the professionalism of our maintenance personnel in air shows around the country.

“When I saw the Thunder Over The Rock air show on our list of possible shows for the 2010 demo season, I obviously began lobbying the other guys on the team to choose that show,” Lieutenant Stimis continued. “My parents have already been to a few shows so far this year, but it will be a great experience to fly back home in front of other friends who have never seen me fly.”

Lieutenant Stimis is looking forward to seeing his family and a Razorbacks game.

“I’m really excited about getting back home during the fall and spending time with family and friends,” Lieutenant Stimis said.

“It would’ve been great if the Razorbacks were playing at War Memorial while I was home, but I’m excited to watch the Arkansas-Texas A&M game on TV somewhere. I’ve also been hearing a lot of great things about the Big Dam Bridge, which was not yet built before I left Little Rock in 1998. I’m hoping for some good weather for a nice long run along the river and over the bridge on Saturday before the show.”

Captain Meyers, with the A-10 Demo Team, is proud to be showcasing the capabilities of the A-10 to the public.

“It has been an honor and a great experience being involved in a program that allows the A-10 community to advertise our capabilities and help educate the public on what the A-10 brings to the fight,” said Captain Meyers. “I think most people have heard rumors about how the Hog interacts with ground troops on the battlefield, but may not have 100-percent accurate knowledge on it. The fact that we get to go out and showcase our capabilities to the public is not only great for us, but also a memorable and an educational experience for the crowd.”

Captain Meyers is looking forward to showing his family the work that he does for the military.

“Coming back to Arkansas will be an awesome experience,” said Captain Meyers. “It will allow me to show my family and friends a portion of my life that they have never really been able to be a part of until now. They’ll actually get to see what I do and hopefully have a new appreciation for all the time I’ve spent away from home.”

He wants everyone to better understand the importance of the A-10.

“The thing I’m most looking forward to is getting to show my family what I’ve gotten to do the past couple of years,” explained Capt. Meyers. “I think they already have an idea of how lucky I am to be doing what I’m doing, but none of them really have a complete grasp on it. Hopefully after seeing the full presentation, they’ll have a better picture of what I do every day and how important the A-10 is to the guys on the ground.”

No comments: