Thursday, January 14, 2010

COMMENTARY>>Excellence is a state of mind

By Chief Master Sgt. Anthony Brinkley
19th Airlift Wing command chief

After a busy day on the job recently, I decided to go by Anthony’s Pizza and take a break. I was then overwhelmed by the pride displayed by Sherry and Carmen. These two ladies were working behind the counter and inspired me with their commitment to excellence. I quickly began to internalize the concept that excellence is conceived in your mind and then birthed through your actions.

These two ladies told me they produced the world’s best pizza. Now you can debate this matter if you’d like, but I took it to understand that they took every task associated with making pizza personally. I’ve eaten my share of pizza, and I’m partial to New York style, but I have never seen an attitude in a pizzeria such as theirs. My question to you is, do you look at each opportunity personally and professionally as reflections on your attitude on excellence? Excellence is simply not accepting mediocrity when you have it within you to do better.

It has to be a state of mind, because there are many parts of our profession that aren’t glamorous, yet they are is vital to our mission. So how do you handle the tasks that may not appeal to you? Excellence demands that each task isn’t looked at differently, but approached with the same positive attitude coupled with dedication. Sherry and Carmen have internalized the concept of excellence of mind.

Whether it’s sweeping up, prepping a pizza or greeting a customer there was no change in attitude or energy. I think we can all learn from these two ladies. So do you need a check up from the neck up, or is your mind in the right place at all times?

As I enjoyed my slice of pizza, I must admit, they did a great job preparing it. So never forget that excellence is a state of mind.

Combat Airlift!

No comments: