Thursday, August 13, 2009

TOP STORY > >LRS Airman named best in the Air Force

By Airman 1st Class Rochelle Clace
19th Airlift Wing Public Affairs

Airmen at Little Rock Air Force Base work hard every day to excel in their careers and complete the Combat Airlift mission.

Senior Airman David Bennett, 19th Logistics Readiness Squadron equipment accountability apprentice, is one of these Airmen, having received recognition for his hard work and dedication by earning the 2008 Air Force Materiel Management Airman of the Year Award.

The award, which was presented to Airman Bennett May 28 in Washington D.C., is given to Airmen who excel in their jobs to recognize the best for the year in the materiel management career field.

“I didn’t even know I was nominated until I won for [Air Education and Training Command], and I couldn’t even believe it,” he said. “When my commander came in the office and told me I wonI was just blown away.”

Airman Bennett was honored to have earned the Air Force-level award.

“I never thought in a million years I would have won for the whole Air Force. When I found out I won I mainly felt disbelief,” he said.

Airman Bennett’s job requirements include storing and maintaining accountability for parts to ensure they are readily available for issue to maintenance and lateral support to other bases, as well as supporting the mission wherever needed.

Being a part of the team and fulfilling his part of Team Little Rock’s mission is a strong motivating factor for Airman Bennett.

“I like the feeling of being an integral part of the mission support group, the responsibility is incredible,” he said. “Maintenance needs parts to fix planes and I supply those parts around the world to bolster our mission to fly, fight and win. It is very rewarding knowing I have a part in that mission ... I want to show that I am a dedicated Airman who wants to be the best I can be at my job.”

According to Airman Bennett, family has always been a main source of support in his career and an integral part of earning the award.

“My father was in the Air Force. He was very proud of me when he found out I wanted to join [the military],” he said. “Now that I have earned an award of this magnitude he can’t hold back telling me how proud he is of me ... I couldn’t have done it without him.”

No comments: