Friday, March 7, 2008

TOP STORY >> Transcendent teamwork

By Lt. Col. Nate Allerheiligen
314th Airlift Wing director of readiness


“I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”
– Dr. Martin Luther King

Three events conspired this past week to divert me off my list of “Dazzles:” Last Friday, I had lunch with two original Tuskegee Airmen; Saturday, I took my kids to the Central High Museum; Monday, I hosted a missionary from South Africa in my home—he’s a survivor of Apartheid.

Through these discussions of race and relationships, two powerful images came to my mind. First, I felt an overwhelming sense of remorse for the poor behavior my fore-fathers exhibited—many times in the name of religion. The drive for power, money, and control has often led societies to oppress ethnic groups.

It is tragic, it is real and it is inexcusable.

The second and more powerful notion that came to mind is the depth of teamwork that we see day-in and day-out here at Team Little Rock. Consider that a mere 50 years ago that you would never see the diversity of race and national origin that is now common place in our Air Force.

In our small office, we have people who are Latin-American, African-American, Native-American, Asian-American, European-American, men, women, officer, enlisted, single, divorced, married and even a father of triplets.

Every day, we seamlessly operate and execute the mission without any regard to our variances. We are all teammates. We are all Airmen. We all gladly serve together.

I am very proud that it was in the U.S. military, thanks to pioneers such as the Tuskegee Airmen, that our nation has been able to move out of a legacy of discrimination and segregation, to a place of transcendent teamwork where we all strive together to achieve a better life for all. The Global War on Terror is an extension of that same sentiment.

Our nation has pledged to attack tyranny and spread the hope of freedom to all peoples.

Look around you today.

Take a moment to appreciate the beautiful canvas of color that decorates our Air Force. Every person is another pixel in the picture that creates a sea of vibrant hues, an image of strength and an enduring resolve to ensure that all peoples shall come to know “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

Combat Airlift!

No comments: